Director of Development
Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Louisville Ballet (LB) makes moving art that respects tradition, encourages innovation, and fosters life-long learning. We inspire connection, conversation and a profound sense of community, by striving for bold collaborations, by nurturing the next generation of artists, by celebrating diversity, and by creating access for all.
Be creative. Be collaborative. Be disciplined.
STATEMENT ON DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Louisville Ballet is fully committed to fostering the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Louisville Ballet’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion encompasses every aspect of our programming and services. Louisville Ballet embraces all groups, communities, and individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender Identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, religion, age, or disability status.
The Director of Development is responsible for implementing Louisville Ballet’s fundraising strategy to increase philanthropic revenue from individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources. Working closely with the Artistic and Executive Directors, Board of Trustees, and Louisville Ballet Leadership Team, the Director of Development drives momentum across Louisville Ballet’s development programs and oversees the production of key events to generate sustainable funding for the organization’s short- and long-term needs, including the Louisville Ballet School and the community engagement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
● Works with the Artistic and Executive Directors to develop a clear fundraising strategy and to set realistic, ambitious goals.
● Provides leadership and supervision of the Development Department, comprising a full-time development coordinator and a part-time advancement coordinator.
● Oversees and manages the organization’s development activities, including major & annual giving, corporate giving & sponsorships, foundations & grants systems, and events.
● Ensures reliability of donor data, through use of effective and efficient data systems and implementation of processes for updating data.
● Maintains direct responsibility for achieving fundraising targets and for tracking actual versus goal.
● Builds strong relationships with staff and external stakeholders to build and support the case for philanthropic support and to clarify giving opportunities.
● Supports the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
● Identifies and manages a portfolio of donors, members, and prospects capable of making five- to six-figure gifts to Louisville Ballet.
● Ensures the relationship with the Fund for the Arts is well managed including: writing the application materials, coordinating financial reporting, representing Louisville Ballet in person, and coordinating the organization’s Fund for the Arts Campaign.
● Manage the relationships (or delegates as appropriate) with corporate, foundation, and government donors, including but not limited to writing applications and reports on funding, coordinating donor perquisites, and representing Louisville Ballet in person.
● Manages annual fund solicitation to individual donors including board members, Starr Society members, Pointe Society members, and all other individual donors.
● Ensures donors receive proper and thoughtful stewardship with timely gift acknowledgements, cultivation opportunities, and donor benefits like studio tours, open rehearsals, pre-show receptions, ticket packages, and other similar activities and prerequisites.
● Manages in-kind donations, including solicitation and stewardship of gifts.
DESIRED PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
● Bachelor’s degree.
● Proven track record of cultivating relationships and securing funding commitments from individuals, foundations, and corporations, with at least five years’ progressive experience in advancement. CFRE a plus. Knowledge of Tessitura is a plus.
● Strong leadership skills, including strategic thinking and project management.
● Excellent communication skills, including written and spoken communication.
● High level of emotional and social intelligence.
● Proven ability to work independently and collegially with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
● Appreciation for the performing arts and their value to individuals and the community.
● Knowledge of the Louisville, Kentucky funding market is a plus.
● High level of personal responsibility, initiative, and self-motivation.
● Ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
● Availability to work late and weekend hours, particularly during production or special event weeks.
PLEASE NOTE: This job description contains the current highlights of the Director of Development position. It is not a complete listing of all job responsibilities and requirements. The incumbent may be asked to perform tasks that are not included in the job description. Furthermore, the Director of Development role is subject to change.
Please send letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to Interim Executive Director Christen Boone at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 21, 2022.