Director of Development
Director of Development
Reports to: Artistic + Executive Director
The Director of Development is responsible for implementing Louisville Ballet’s fundraising strategy in order to increase philanthropic revenue for the organization from individual, corporate, foundation and government sources. Working closely with the Artistic & Executive Director, Board of Trustees and Louisville Ballet Leadership Team, the Director of Development will drive momentum across Louisville Ballet’s development programs and oversee the production of key events in order to generate a sustainable pipeline of funding to meet the organization’s short and long term needs.
- Oversee and manage the organization’s development activities including annual and capital fundraising, sponsorships, and benefit events such as Raise the Barre.
- Work with the Artistic & Executive Director to develop a clear fundraising strategy and to set realistic, ambitious goals.
- Maintain direct responsibility for achieving the annual fundraising target, tracking versus goal.
- Build strong relationships with staff and external stakeholders to raise awareness of the case for philanthropic support and to clarify giving opportunities.
- Support the Development and Nominating Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Identify and manage a portfolio of donors, members and prospects capable of making five to six figure gifts to Louisville Ballet.
- Manage the relationship with the Fund for the Arts including writing the application materials, coordinating financial reporting, representing Louisville Ballet in person and coordinating Louisville Ballet Fund for the Arts Campaign.
- Manage the relationships with corporate, foundation and government donors including but not limited to writing applications and reports on funding, coordinate donor perquisites and represent Louisville Ballet in person.
- Manage annual fund solicitation to individual donors including board members, Pointe Society members and all other individual donors.
- Steward individual donors with timely gift acknowledgement, maintaining donor perquisites including donor benefits like Open Rehearsals and Opening Night Receptions as well as updating donor pages in Étoile.
- Manage the strategy and focus of benefit events including Raise the Barre, Sugar Plum Parties and anniversary galas with a focus on funding, sponsor stewardship and donor experience.
- Manage in-kind donations including solicitation and stewardship of gifts.
- The Director of Development is expected to work occasional late and weekend hours
Must possess impeccable communication skills, be highly detail oriented, self-motivated and a strategic thinker. This position requires a high-degree of responsibility and productivity, successfully juggling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. The Director of Development must possess:
- A proven track record for cultivating relationships and securing funding commitments from individuals, foundations and corporations. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of four years related work experience.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- A high level of emotional intelligence.
- Proven ability to work independently and collegially with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of the performing arts, specifically ballet.
- Knowledge of Louisville Kentucky funding market a must.
- Experience working in a campaign environment, and knowledge of Tessitura or eTapestry a plus.
The following behaviors have been identified as critical to all leadership roles at the Louisville Ballet.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: works cooperatively and collaboratively with others toward the accomplishment of shared goals.
- Valuing Diversity: recognizing and embracing the unique talents and contributions of others
- Service Orientation: desire to serve and focus one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of internal and external customers.
- Achieves Results: reflects a drive to achieve and outperform. Continuously looking for improvements. Accepts responsibility for actions and results.
- Organizational Alignment: ability to align people, processes and organizational structure with Louisville Ballet’s strategic direction.
- Developing Others: views people, their knowledge and capabilities as assets and provides opportunities that allow employees to continuously learn and develop.
- Communication: practices attentive and active listening and can restate opinions of others; communicates messages in a way that has the desired effect.
- Integrity: conducts business with honesty and professional ethics. Seeks to achieve results in the best interest of the organization. Models and reinforces ethical behavior in self and others. Highest standards of ethics as accepted by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following materials to Robert Curran, Artistic + Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Include Director of Development in the subject line.
- No phone calls, please